When traveling on any roadway, there is always some level of risk of being involved in an accident. However, according to the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), the inherent risk is significantly higher when traveling through or near an intersection.
Although state and federal agencies work hard to make our intersections as safe as possible, some in every city are more prone to serious car accidents, and Akron is no different. In this article, we will take a look at the top 20 most dangerous intersections in Akron, what contributes to the high likelihood of an accident occurring in intersections, and what to do if you were involved in an accident while driving or walking through an intersection.
For more information on Ohio auto accident cases or to file a claim for damages, contact the experienced team of Akron car accident lawyers at Slater & Zurz for a FREE, no-obligation case review. (888) 534-4850.
Top 20 Most Dangerous Intersections in Akron
|1||Maple St. and Cedar St.||23||17||0|
|2||Dart Ave. and Opportunity Pkwy.||21||17||0|
|3||Main St. and Tallmadge Ave.||18||13||1|
|4||Cedar St. and Rand Ave.||18||17||0|
|5||Maple St. and Rhodes Ave.||26||13||0|
|6||Kelly Ave. and Triplett Blvd.||15||15||0|
|7||Tallmadge Ave. and Howard St.||18||14||0|
|8||Exchange St. and Dart Ave.||19||12||1|
|9||High St. and Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.||17||16||0|
|10||Perkins St. and Goodkirk St.||14||15||0|
|11||Broadway St. and Thornton St.||27||9||0|
|12||Howard St. and North St.||17||11||0|
|13||Hilbish Ave. and Waterloo Rd.||17||12||0|
|14||Tallmadge Ave. and Brittain Rd.||23||10||0|
|15||Main St. and Market St.||16||11||0|
|16||Cedar St. and Akron General Ave.||24||9||0|
|17||Manchester Rd. and Waterloo Rd.||14||12||0|
|18||Cedar St. and Dart Ave.||9||12||0|
|19||Market St. and High St.||12||11||0|
|20||Broadway St. and Mill St.||11||12||0|
Why Intersections Pose a Higher Risk of Collisions
So why do so many serious accidents occur in or around intersections? A variety of factors contribute to the increased risk of accidents and injuries at these locations include:
- Poor design – Accidents can occur when a road or intersection isn’t properly designed. Examples include blind curves, steep shoulders, poor guardrail placement, and low median barriers.
- Missing, inaccurate, or confusing road signs – If a motorist isn’t adequately informed of the traffic patterns or conditions, they can proceed into an intersection when they shouldn’t and strike a pedestrian, cyclist, or motor vehicle.
- Malfunctioning, nonfunctioning, or traffic signals – Busy intersections can be chaotic and confusing. When an intersection’s signals aren’t working properly or functioning at all, traffic will not be properly controlled, which can lead to a serious accident.
- Poor visibility – Inadequate lighting, a sharp bend in the road, and unclear road markings all lead to poor visibility.
- Failure to yield – When a driver does not yield to an oncoming car or pedestrian in a crosswalk, the results can be devastating.
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol – A drunk or drugged motorist is highly likely to cause a motor vehicle accident because their perception and ability to react are highly impaired.
- Distracted driving – Many crashes are caused by a motorist who is distracted while using their cell phone, eating or drinking, or changing their music.
- Speeding and other forms of reckless driving – Aggressive driving, such as running red lights, unsafe passing, and illegal turns, can often lead to intersection crashes.
What to Do After an Akron Car Accident
Regardless of how or where your accident happens, a collision can catch you off-guard. But it is important to remember that what you do immediately following a crash can affect your health, safety, and right to seek compensation. That is why our Akron car accident attorneys recommend taking the following steps following an accident:
- Get to safety – If you can, move out of the intersection and to the side of the road or sidewalk. If it is safe to do so, help others involved to safety.
- Call 911 – To ensure emergency medical technicians and officers are dispatched to the scene, you will need to call the police and report the accident.
- Tell the officer what happened – Give a thorough, accurate, and honest account of what took place. Tell the officer everything you can remember, and be sure to retain a copy of the police report for your records.
- Do not apologize – Many car accident victims tend to say they are sorry for the accident – even in cases where they were not to blame for the crash. Avoid apologizing or taking any blame for the accident and try not to talk about the accident to anyone but your Akron personal injury lawyer.
- Seek medical treatment – You will need to see a doctor even if you feel your injuries are minor. Many can go unnoticed for days and even weeks, so be sure to get a thorough medical examination to diagnose and treat all of your injuries.
- Speak to a personal injury attorney – To protect your right to compensation, talk to an experienced personal injury attorney right away. They will tell you if you have a case and what actions to take to increase your chances of securing maximum compensation.
Speak to a Leading Car Accident Law Firm in Akron Today
Even drivers who take extra precautions to operate their motor vehicle safely can be seriously injured in a car accident caused by a careless motorist even resulting in a wrongful death. If you or a loved one was injured in an intersection or anywhere on an Ohio roadway, we are here to help. The Akron car accident lawyers at Slater & Zurz have over a century of experience helping injured victims fight for justice.
And because we understand the financial toll a serious car accident injury takes, we will take your case on a contingency fee basis. This means you will not have to pay us anything upfront. We will only be paid when we win your case. Don’t hesitate. Call (888) 534-4850 now to schedule your FREE consultation. Our car accident law firm has offices in Akron, Canton, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, and Toledo to serve you. We are also more than happy to come to you if you cannot travel due to your injuries or damage to your vehicle.