Cincinnati Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Biking is a great way to exercise, avoid traffic, and enjoy all that Ohio offers. The number of cyclists on the roadways has significantly increased in recent years. Unfortunately, this has also contributed to a steep rise in bicycle-related collisions in our community.
Our Cincinnati bicycle accident attorneys at Slater& Zurz understand the challenges bicycle accident victims face and will do everything we can to help. We will work with you, your family members, doctors, psychologists, and others to ensure you receive quality legal representation as well as the finest medical care. Our compassionate legal team will guide you through this challenging chapter from start to finish while also advocating to make our community a safer place to ride.
Let our qualified team at Slater & Zurz work tirelessly on your behalf. Contact us at 888.534.4850, fill out our online form, or begin an online chat.
Recovering Compensation After a Bicycle Accident
If you have been injured in a Cincinnati bicycle accident, it is essential to consider your legal options because you may be entitled to a significant amount of compensation. Recovery in your case may include the following:
- All medical expenses related to the accident
- Costs of future medical treatment
- Costs for rehabilitation, such as physical therapy
- Costs of in-home or long-term care needed as a result of the accident
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Loss of consortium
- Lost quality of life
- Wrongful death
Common Causes of Bike Accidents
Bicycle accidents occur in a variety of manners and for a variety of different reasons. Often motorists don’t realize that bicyclists, by law, have the same rights as motorists. They fail to exercise the caution needed to ensure a cyclist’s safety. Factors that often contribute to a bicycle accident include:
- Running red lights or stop signs
- Failing to yield to a cyclist
- Distracted driving, such as texting while driving
- Fatigued driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Following too closely to a cyclist
- Failing to provide adequate space for the cyclist while passing
- Making unsafe left turns, including failing to signal
- Turning right before making sure there isn’t a cyclist present
- Opening vehicle doors in the path of an oncoming cyclist
- Improperly maintained or poorly designed roadways
- Poorly designed or manufactured bicycles and bicycle parts
- An improperly serviced bicycle
Steps to Take After a Bicycle Accident
In a bicycle crash, your life can change in an instant. You will likely face a challenging recovery ahead of you and be left to deal with a significant financial burden. If you feel a negligent motorist may have caused your accident, take these steps to ensure they are held accountable for their actions and that you receive the compensation you deserve.
Seek medical attention right away – It is essential to have a thorough medical assessment after any bicycle accident. The adrenaline – or simply the shock of the experience may hide the true extent of your injuries. Even if you feel fine, it is always best to see a doctor right away.
Call 911 – Report your accident to the police, provide an accurate account of the accident, and obtain a copy of the police report for your records.
Obtain the information of all parties involved– Get the name, address, phone number, driver’s license number, and insurance information of all parties involved in the accident. Speak with any eyewitnesses and obtain their contact information as well.
Write down what happened – It is important to write down every detail of the accident soon after it occurs. As time goes on, you may forget important information that could strengthen your claim.
Retain all medical bills and records – To maximize your compensation in your bicycle accident case, it is essential to show your injuries’ true costs, nature, and extent.
Speak with a Cincinnati bicycle accident lawyer right away – Insurance companies will generally try to get you to settle quickly and for less than what you are entitled to. An experienced bicycle accident attorney will look after your best interests and negotiate aggressively to get you the maximum compensation.
Bicycle Accidents Caused by Unsafe Road Conditions
Cyclists face considerable dangers on the road. While many bicycle accidents involve negligent drivers, bicyclists also rely on safe road conditions. When the state, county, city, or other public agency fails to provide safe conditions, cyclists are put at risk of becoming seriously injured. Our experienced attorneys have successfully handled cases involving:
- Cracked or uneven pavement
- Unsafe bike lanes
- Debris on the roadway
- Confusing roadway signs
- Broken/malfunctioning traffic signals
- Hazardous storm grates
- Trees, signage, and poles too close to the roadway
- Unclear or faded lane markings
- Poor street drainage
- Unfinished shoulders
- Construction site hazards
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Ohio’s 3-foot rule?
One of the most common bicycle accidents is sideswiping. This occurs when a motorist fails to leave a safe distance when passing a bicycle and hits the cyclist’s side, causing them to crash.
Ohio’s House Bill 154 helps protect bicyclists’ safety by defining a safe passing distance. The “3 Foot Law” requires motorists to leave a minimum distance of three feet between the cyclist and their vehicle while passing.
What bike safety equipment does Cincinnati require?
In Cincinnati, a cyclist is required to install or maintain certain safety equipment on their bikes. Each bike must have the following:
- A white reflector on the front of the bike (and a white light if the bike is ridden between sunset and sunrise)
- A red reflector and a flashing or steady red light on the back of the bike
- Properly working brakes
- A bell that emits an audible signal
How much do I have to pay a Cincinnati bicycle accident attorney?
Slater & Zurz handles all of our bicycle accident cases on a contingency fee basis, meaning we don’t get paid unless we recover on your behalf. If you receive a settlement, we take a percentage to cover our costs.
How Can I Stay Safe When Riding a Bike?
Cyclists have very little protection and are at a high risk of injury when involved in a bicycle crash. But there are several things you can do to help lower the risk of an accident or serious injuries.
Always wear a helmet – In Ohio, adult cyclists are not required to wear a helmet. However, doing so can drastically lower your risk of a brain injury – by roughly 60%. Make sure your helmet fits properly and is in good condition.
Obey the rules of the road – Cyclists have the same rules as motorists when riding on roadways. Make sure you obey traffic signals and stop signs, ride in the same direction as traffic, use hand signals when turning, obey posted speed limits, and yield to pedestrians.
Wear bright clothing – Many accidents occur when motorists don’t see the cyclist. Wearing bright clothing (and reflective material when riding at night) will make you more visible to motorists.
Perform a pre-ride safety check – Before heading out for a ride, make sure your bike is in good working order. Several items should be checked, including:
- Tire pressure
- Wheel quick releases
- Stem and headset
- Crank arms and pedals
Our Cincinnati Bicycle Accident Attorneys Can Help
Our skilled legal team at Slater & Zurz has successfully represented wrongfully injured victims for over 40 years. We bring knowledge, experience, and dedication to the table and will vigorously pursue compensation for your losses. Our attorneys provide superior legal representation by:
- Handling all aspects of the bicycle accident claim process from start to finish
- Ensuring you receive the highest level of medical care possible to help you recover from your injuries
- Gathering evidence from your accident, including the police report, accident scene photos and video, witness statements, and medical records.
- Working with our team of experts in accident reconstruction, medicine, finance, and investigation to build a strong, persuasive case. We will show how your accident occurred, who was at fault, the nature and extent of your injuries, past, present, and future losses, and your need for any future care.
- Handling all communication with the insurance company or defense attorney so you can focus on your recovery.
- Passionately advocating on your behalf during settlement negotiations and, if necessary, at trial.
Our legal team is dedicated to holding the at-fault party accountable for their actions. Let us fight for the justice you deserve and the compensation you are entitled to. To get started on your Cincinnati bike accident claim, contact us at 888.534.4850 today. We are ready to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.