Canton Bicycle Accident Lawyer
At Slater & Zurz, we are passionate advocates for injured cyclists. With over 100 years of collective experience, we bring extensive knowledge and vast resources to the table. We have skillfully represented cyclists in a wide variety of bicycle accident cases and have a proven track record of success. Our Canton bicycle accident attorneys are dedicated to holding the at-fault party accountable for their actions and obtaining the maximum recovery for those seriously injured in a bicycle accident.
If you or a loved one was injured in a biking accident, you need superior legal representation by your side. Our compassionate attorneys will help you get the medical care you need and fight diligently to obtain full and fair compensation for the physical, emotional, and financial damages caused by the crash.
Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Canton
There are as many causes for bicycle accidents as there are for motor vehicle accidents – but because cyclists are less protected, they face a much greater risk of sustaining catastrophic or even fatal injuries. Below are some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents.
- Rear-end Collisions – If a motorist is distracted, following too closely, or speeding, they may not have time to stop and can hit the cyclist from behind.
- Left-turn Collisions – As a cyclist comes through an intersection, a driver who is not paying attention can turn directly into the cyclist’s path, causing them to crash into the side of the vehicle.
- Right-hand Turn Accidents – A motorist can make a right-hand turn without making sure their path is clear. If a cyclist is proceeding through the intersection, going straight, the motorist can strike the cyclist.
- Side-swiping Accidents – A motorist may fail to leave a safe amount of space between the vehicle and bicycle as they pass the cyclist. In some cases, a motorist may be intentionally side-swipe a bicyclist.
- Dooring Accidents – A driver may open their car door without checking whether a bicyclist is approaching from behind. The cyclist strikes the door or crashes in an attempt to miss the car door.
Talk to an attorney you can trust. Call Slater & Zurz today at 888.534.4850, fill out our simple online form, or chat with us live.
Bicycle Accidents involving Children
Bicycling is a fun and healthy pastime, especially for children. Unfortunately, one of their favorite activities can also be dangerous. All drivers owe a duty of care to everyone on the road. However, when children are present, they have a legal duty to exercise an increased amount of care.
Children can be unpredictable while riding their bikes. They may swerve unexpectedly or lose their balance and fall. Motorists are expected to understand this and drive slowly around children and exercise greater caution in areas where children may be present. If a child is injured in an accident caused by a driver’s failure to use the proper care level, parents can hold the driver liable.
When an accident occurs involving a child on a bike, the motorist often blames the child. A common excuse is that the child is inexperienced and caused the crash. In some instances, this may be true. But in many cases, the accident was a result of the driver’s negligence. There may also be cases where both the driver and child share fault. However, in these situations, Ohio law recognizes children are less capable of exercising care and hold the child to a lower standard.
Comparative Fault Laws in Ohio
Ohio is a comparative negligence state, meaning you can still be compensated for your damages if you were 50% or less at fault. But by law, your settlement would be reduced by your percentage of fault. For example, if you were awarded $100,000 but were found to be 20% at fault, you would receive a final settlement of $80,000.
This means that even a slightly higher percentage of fault can cost you thousands, even hundreds of thousands of dollars. That is why having an experienced attorney is crucial. Our skilled Canton bicycle accident attorneys will diligently compile evidence and work with our team of experts to show the true amount of fault for all parties involved in the accident, ensuring you receive full and fair compensation.
Compensation in Your Bicycle Accident Case
No one should be left with the serious, lingering effects of injuries caused by someone else’s negligence. If you have been injured, you deserve to be compensated by the at-fault party. Our bicycle accident attorneys in Canton will advocate aggressively on your behalf to recover damages for the following:
- All medical expenses related to the accident, including ambulance transportation, emergency care, diagnostic tests, medical procedures, hospitalization, and doctor visits
- Costs for future medical treatment and procedures
- Rehabilitation expenses, such as physical therapy and vocational retraining therapy
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning capacity or income
- Permanent injuries, disabilities, and disfigurement
- Past, present, and future pain, suffering, and emotional trauma
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment
- Cost of in-home or long-term facility care needed as a result of your injuries
- Costs for modifying your home to accommodate for injuries sustained in the accident
- Wrongful death