Ongoing rehabilitation, costly medical bills, and lost wages are just a few of the challenges often faced after a truck crash. When you are injured in an accident, you need a qualified Cincinnati truck accident lawyer by your side.
At Slater & Zurz, we are trusted by our clients because we treat them as a member of our own family. We will always look out for your best interests and do everything possible to get you the compensation you deserve. We will start by ensuring you receive the medical care you need so you can recover as fully as possible from your injuries. Our legal team will then aggressively fight for what is right, which includes holding the responsible party accountable for their actions and obtaining a maximum recovery on your behalf.
Frequent Causes of Truck Accidents
Whether it be an accident with an 18-wheeler, big rig, tractor-trailer, or semi, truck accidents can result in extensive damage and severe injuries. Several causes lead to truck accidents, including:
- Driver fatigue
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Distracted driving
- An inexperienced driver
- Improper maintenance and inspection
- Failure to secure loads
- An improperly maintained braking system
- Poorly designed, maintained, or inspected tires
Compensation in Truck Accident Cases
Under Ohio law, you may be awarded compensation for your losses if your truck accident was caused by another party’s reckless, negligent, or intentional actions. Compensation that may be available to you in your truck accident case includes the following:
- Medical expenses (past and future)
- Rehabilitation costs
- Lost earnings
- Lost earning capacity
- Property damage
- Mental anguish
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Diminished quality of life
What to Do After an Ohio Truck Accident
The actions you take after being involved in a truck accident can greatly impact your ability to recover financial compensation for your or your loved one’s injuries. It is crucial to take the following steps to ensure your and your family’s safety and protect your legal rights.
- Get to safety – If possible, remove yourself, your passengers, and your vehicle from further harm by moving off the road and out of the path of oncoming traffic. If it is safe to do so, help other crash victims to the side of the road and out of harm’s way.
- Call the police – Once everyone is safe, call 911 to report the accident. When the officers arrive, give an accurate account of what happened before, during, and after the collision. Obtain a copy of the police report for your records. The report contains vital information, such as the names and contact information of all parties involved and any eyewitnesses, a diagram of the accident scene, a list of any citations given, and an assessment of the conditions at the time of the accident.
- Take photos and video of the accident – If you can, take photos and video of the accident scene and any vehicles involved. It is also helpful to write down what happened before, during, and after the accident, so small details aren’t forgotten or overlooked.
- Go to the emergency room or urgent care – Even if you are unaware of any serious injuries, it is always best to have a thorough medical evaluation after being involved in an accident with a big rig, tractor- trailer, or any other type of large commercial truck. Many times, you may not recognize your injuries due to the shock of the accident. Injuries such as concussions, neck and back injuries, and internal bleeding may not be immediately apparent. Seek medical attention to ensure your injuries are promptly diagnosed and treated.
- Stick to your doctor’s orders – Be sure to go to all doctor’s appointments and complete all treatment plans set forth by your physician. This will not only help you recover but will also provide proof of the nature and extent of your injuries in a truck accident lawsuit.
- Don’t speak to anyone about the accident – Do not talk to the other party’s insurance company or post anything on social media about the accident or your injuries. Statements recorded by the insurance company as well as your social media posts may be used against you by the insurance company to avoid assuming responsibility for the accident or to dispute the nature and extent of your injuries.
- Consult with a Cincinnati truck accident lawyers – A truck accident claim can be complex. Many factors come into play, so it is essential to seek legal guidance from an attorney with experience handling Ohio trucking accident cases. The truck accident lawyers at Slater & Zurz will immediately get to work to ensure your rights are protected and the proper actions are taken to ensure maximum recovery for your losses.
Ohio Statute of Limitations for Filing a Truck Accident Lawsuit
A statute of limitations is the deadline for filing a lawsuit. In Ohio, an injured party has two years from the date of the accident to file a truck accident lawsuit. Generally, if you don’t file within this time frame, you will lose your right to seek damages for your injuries. If you have questions about how Ohio’s statute of limitations applies to your potential truck accident case, we encourage you to discuss your situation with a knowledgeable truck accident attorney at Slater & Zurz.
Our Cincinnati Truck Accident Lawyers Can Help
Your life can completely change in an instant when you are involved in a collision with a truck. You may have a long recovery ahead, leaving you to deal with pain, frustration, and financial turmoil. The Cincinnati personal injury lawyers at Slater & Zurz want you to know that we are here to help. We will take on every aspect of the truck accident lawsuit process so you can focus on getting better. Our legal team will handle all communication with the at-fault party’s insurance company and fight for your best interests in court if an acceptable resolution cannot be met through pretrial negotiations.
With over 100 years of collective legal experience and vast resources at our disposal, know that you are incapable hands. We have seen every tactic used by truck drivers, trucking companies, and insurance companies to avoid responsibility for their actions. But we are aggressive and diligent in our pursuit of justice and will do everything possible to get you the compensation you need to recover from your losses. To get started, contact our firm for a free consultation with our qualified truck accident lawyers today. Call Slater & Zurz at (513)496-3331 or fill out our simple online form.