Columbus Car Accident Lawyer
At the personal injury law firm of Slater & Zurz LLP, our Columbus car accident lawyers handle personal injury and wrongful death cases for people in Columbus, Ohio. Established in 1991, we have built a record for success, recovering millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements for our clients. Our commitment has been and always will be, to meet the needs of our clients by striving for the best possible outcome in their case.
Our dedicated legal team can help you get the medical treatment you need, file a personal injury claim, and get the maximum compensation. We handle every aspect of the claims process from start to finish so you can focus on recovering and getting your life back on track.
Our top priority is to be there when you need us most and boldly advocate on your behalf to hold the at-fault party accountable for their actions and get you the much-needed compensation you are entitled to.
Car Accidents in Columbus, Ohio
Any car accident can result in serious injuries, whether a low-speed rear-end collision or a multi-car pileup. Our auto accident attorneys are ready to help you recover compensation for injuries sustained in an auto accident.
Seven Steps to Take After a Car Accident
You were just involved in a car accident. You are likely in shock and unsure of what to do next. It is important to remain calm and take the following seven steps:
Get medical attention immediately – If you haven’t seen a doctor, do so now. Serious injuries often have delayed symptoms. That is why you need a comprehensive medical exam to identify and treat any injuries. Be sure to follow the doctor’s treatment plan and keep all of your medical bills and records. If you do not have insurance, our firm will work with you to get you the medical care you need.
Call 911 – Report the accident to the police and obtain the officer’s traffic collision report for your records.
Document what happened – Write down everything you can remember – what happened before, during, and after the accident. Even if it seems like a small detail to you, it may be essential in proving your claim.
Take photographs and video of the accident scene, your injuries, and all vehicles involved in the crash – Photos and video footage are crucial in proving who was at fault, the nature and severity of your injuries, and the extent of the damage caused to your vehicle.
Get the contact and insurance information from every driver involved in the accident – Write down the name, address, phone number, driver’s license number, insurance company, and policy number of each driver. Also, look for any eyewitnesses, and be sure to get their name and phone number so your attorney can speak with them at a later time.
Don’t speak with the insurance company – You might think you should call your insurance company or the other party’s insurance company right away. But portions of what you say may be used against you in an attempt to deny you the compensation you deserve. If an insurance company contacts you, kindly let them know that your attorney will be in touch with them shortly.
Hire a qualified Columbus car accident lawyer – To protect your rights and maximize your chances of obtaining full and fair compensation, contact our experienced and diligent car accident lawyers at Slater & Zurz.
What Damages Can I Recover in My Car Accident Claim?
If you have been injured due to someone’s negligent actions, you have a right to compensation for your losses. Depending on the circumstances of your case, you may be able to receive damages for:
- Medical expenses
- The costs of your vehicle repair or replacement
- Lost wages
- The loss of future earning capacity
- Rehabilitation treatment, including physical therapy and occupational therapy
- Future medical care and treatment
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Compensation for impairment, disability, and disfigurement
- Loss of consortium
In severe cases, punitive damages may also be available to you. Punitive damages are typically awarded when the at-fault party was grossly negligent or acted intentionally.
Partially At-Fault Parties Can Still Pursue Damages in Ohio
Ohio courts follow a shared negligence model, “modified comparative fault.” This means that injured victims can still pursue compensation for their damages if they are found to be 50% or less at fault for the accident. However, their final settlement amount will be reduced by their percentage of fault. For instance, if you were awarded $100,000 in damages but were found to be 25% at fault, your final compensation would be $75,000.
How our Columbus Car Accident Lawyers Can Help
It can be both frustrating and stressful to suffer serious injuries through no fault of your own. Fortunately, you do not have to go through this alone. We are here to help you every step of the way by:
- Providing you with a free, no-obligation consultation to answer any questions you have and provide you with honest, knowledgeable feedback
- Ensuring you receive the medical care you need to recover from your injuries.
- Keeping you informed of any developments in your case and is readily available to address any questions or concerns you may have throughout the process.
- Handling all communication with the at-fault party, their insurance company, or attorneys on your behalf
- Working with our team of experts to prove who is at fault and show your injuries’ true nature and extent.
- Skillfully negotiating to get you the maximum possible compensation for your injuries.
- If negotiations are unsuccessful, file a lawsuit and skillfully advocate on your behalf at trial.
- Being there for you and your family as long as you need us, even after your case is resolved.
If you have been injured in a car crash and want to discuss a potential claim, schedule a free consultation with our experienced Personal injury attorneys in Columbus, Ohio. You can reach our trusted legal team at (614)756-2714 or fill out our simple online form.
Articles to help you with your Car Accident & Injury Claims
- 9 Mistakes People Make When Seeing Doctors After an Accident
- Most Dangerous Intersections in Akron, Ohio for Car Accidents
- Top 10 Most Dangerous Intersections in Canton, Ohio
- Who Is Liable After a Self-Driving Car Crash in Ohio?
- Traffic Fatalities Increase 10.5% in 2021, the Highest Increase Since 2005
- What You Need to Know If Your In An Uber & Lyft Accidents