Until you have experienced it first hand, it is impossible to understand the devastating impact of a car accident. Your entire life can change in an instant. You may be left to cope with debilitating injuries, emotional trauma, and mounting debt.
It can rob you of life as you once knew it and shape the entire path of your and your family’s future. Our Canton car accident lawyers understand the trauma you are facing and want to help you fight for the compensation you need to get your life back.
Car accident cases can be complex, so it is crucial to hire an attorney who has the experience and resources necessary to skillfully handle every aspect. From investigating the car accident, identifying the fault, and compiling the evidence supporting your claim, to negotiating expertly with the at-fault party’s insurance company, and aggressively representing your best interests in court, if necessary, the Slater & Zurz legal team will provide you with the highest standard of legal representation.
To learn more about your legal options following a Canton car accident, schedule a consultation with one of our qualified personal injury attorneys. The consultation is free, and there is absolutely no obligation.
Auto Accidents in Canton
Car accidents can occur in a wide variety of ways. Whether you or a loved one were involved in a low-speed rear-end crash or a high impact head-on collision, our firm can help you recover your losses. Common types of car accidents include the following:
- Left-turn collisions
- T-bone crashes
- Rear-end collisions
- Head-on crashes
- Failure to yield accidents
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving accidents (DUI)
- Road rage incidents
- Multi-vehicle pileups
- Accidents at intersections
- SUV rollover accidents
- Accidents involving trucks, motorcycles, or pedestrians
- Crashes caused by unsafe road conditions
What to Do Following a Car Accident
Car accident victims are usually in shock immediately following the incident. However, what an injured victim does after an accident will significantly impact their ability to recover fair damages for their injuries and other losses. We have compiled a list of what to do – and what not to do – after a car accident to ensure your safety and health, and protect your rights.
What to Do
- Get to safety – If you can, remove yourself from harm’s way. Get to the side of the road and out of the path of oncoming traffic. If others are in danger, help them to safety if it is safe for you to do so.
- Call 911 – Call the police to report the accident. When the officers arrive, give an accurate and detailed account of what happened before, during, and after the crash. The police report will contain important information, so be sure to get a copy of the report for your records.
- Get the contact information of all parties involved in the incident – Write down the name, address, phone number, and insurance information from all parties involved in the crash. Locate any eyewitnesses and obtain their contact information as well.
- Take photographs and video of the scene – Photos and video are vital evidence used to prove fault in a car accident case. Take pictures and video of the scene, the surrounding area, and any vehicles involved in the crash.
- Document what happened –Write down everything you remember about the accident. It is important to do this as soon as you can, so crucial details are not forgotten. Include every detail of what happened before, during, and after the accident, including any statements made by the involved parties and eyewitnesses.
- Seek immediate medical attention – Immediately following an accident, it is crucial to seek medical attention – whether you feel injured or not. Many serious injuries take time to develop. Getting a thorough medical examination will ensure your injuries are identified, assessed, and treated promptly, helping prevent further injury.
- Consult with an experienced Canton car accident lawyer – To protect your rights and best interests after your car accident, speak with a qualified attorney. They will review the details of the crash, go over your rights, explain the possible courses of action, and determine what steps to take to ensure you receive full compensation for your losses.
What NOT to Do
- Leave the scene – Leaving the scene is of an accident is illegal, even if you are not at fault or the accident did not result in any damage. It is considered a “hit-and-run” and could likely result in criminal charges.
- Admit fault – It isn’t uncommon for a person involved in a car accident to apologize – even if they were not at fault. But an apology can have a significant impact on your claim. The insurance company may use your apology in an attempt to deny liability for your damages – even in a case where the other party is responsible for the crash.
- Post on social media – Social media posts are often used against injured victims. If you are involved in a car accident lawsuit, you can be certain the other party’s insurance company is viewing your social media accounts. Pictures of your injuries, comments about the accident, and information about your activities following the accident can all negatively affect your ability to obtain compensation.
- Speak to the other party’s insurance company – Insurance companies generally attempt to use your statements to minimize or deny the insured’s responsibility for the accident. To ensure you don’t do or say something that could hurt your case, let your car accident attorney handle all communication with the insurance company.
The compensation you receive will depend on the specifics of your case. However, the damages that may be available to you include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Costs for rehabilitation
- Lost wages and future earning capacity
- Vehicle repair or replacement
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Loss of consortium
Consult with a Qualified Car Accident Lawyer in Canton
Due to the many potential causes of car accidents and the various possible parties involved, car accident cases can be considerably more complex than one may imagine. The majority of these cases involve much more than filing a claim and getting a check. Instead, injured victims often encounter numerous challenges in their pursuit of fair compensation.
If you or a loved one was injured in an auto accident, let the experienced Canton car accident attorneys at Slater & Zurz help. We never hesitate to take on even the most complex car accident cases and will aggressively work to recover the compensation you deserve. With over 100 years of collective personal injury experience, we know how to effectively handle every step of the process, allowing you to focus on what is most important – healing. And you never have to worry about the cost of our services. We handle our car accident cases based on a contingency fee agreement, which means we don’t get paid unless we recover damages on your behalf. So, you will never be asked to pay retainer fees or other up-front costs. Let us begin pursuing justice on your behalf. Contact our firm to schedule your free consultation today. You can reach us 24 hours a day, seven days a week, by filling out our online form or calling us at (330) 493-2679.