Slater & Zurz $2,500 College Scholarship For High School Seniors
Ohio Students May Submit Video and Essay for a Chance to Win
$2,500 Scholarship to Attend an Ohio College
Students graduating from an Ohio high school in 2020, who are planning to attend a college or university in Ohio, are eligible to apply for the 3rd Annual Slater & Zurz Scholarship Award. This year, $2,500 will be awarded to the scholarship winner.
The scholarship is being offered by Slater & Zurz LLP, a law firm with downtown offices in Akron, Canton, Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati, Ohio.
The deadline for submissions is Tuesday, March 31, 2020. The winner will be announced on Monday, May 4, 2020.
The winner will be selected based on (1) an original two- to four-minute YouTube video created by the student, and (2) an accompanying 500- to 1,000-word essay on ONE of the two topics listed below. Both the video and the essay must be on the same topic. The goal of the video and essay is to expose problems and present solutions—not to create new problems.
TOPICS FOR THIS YEAR’S SLATER & ZURZ SCHOLARSHIP
- Should the electoral college be abolished in favor of electing the U.S. President by popular vote?
- What can schools and the government do to increase student involvement in the electoral process?
To be eligible to win, each applicant must submit both a video and an essay on the same topic. Each application must be an individual endeavor. The same applicant must create both the two- to four-minute video and the 500- to 1,000-word essay. Team entries will not be considered.
“Many of us at Slater & Zurz remember how challenging it was to pay for college,” states Jim Slater, managing partner of Slater & Zurz. “Today those college costs are even greater.
“Because higher education is so essential to our society, we are committed to help in any way we can. We are very pleased to continue, in 2020, the Slater & Zurz scholarship.”
Earning a scholarship, or several smaller scholarships, is a great way to reduce college tuition payments and other expenses one is likely to encounter at school, Slater pointed out. “The sooner a student starts applying for scholarships, the chances of earning funding from a variety of sources increase,” he said.
Students should not forget the many local and state associations and corporations in Ohio that also offer scholarships.
An application form for the Slater & Zurz scholarship is provided below.
To learn more about scholarship rules and guidelines, please click on the link below:
- The applicant must be a high school senior graduating from an Ohio high school in 2020.
- The applicant must be planning to attend a college or university in Ohio beginning in 2020.
- The applicant must follow all Scholarship Award rules.
- Applications must be submitted online by March 31, 2020. (Late applications will not be considered.) The online application must be completed and submitted by 12:00 AM on March 31, 2020
- Each applicant must create and submit an original 2- to 4-minute YouTube video.
- Prior to the submission of his or her video in the Scholarship Award contest, each applicant must obtain written parental consent for the appearance of any person under the age of 18 who appears in the video.
- Each applicant must upload his or her video to YouTube, and provide a link to the video as indicated in the form below.
- Each applicant must also attach his or her essay in PDF format to the form below.
- Videos must not contain text or imagery that promotes racism, threatens harm to any individual or group, expresses or promotes hatred toward any individual or group, or is inappropriate, indecent, or obscene.